We need workshop leaders for skillshare workshops in 2011! Click here and fill out the application form to teach a 2011 Skillshare Workshop.
Skillshare workshops are held January-October on the fourth Sunday (new dates in 2011!) during our monthly pancake breakfasts. Pancakes are from 10am-noon. Skillshare workshops are from 11am-12:30pm. Our pancake breakfasts cost $5 for all the pancakes you can eat, skillshare workshops are free.
Some of the principles behind our skillshare program include:
- Everyone can teach and learn something. We promote the idea of participatory learning, emphasizing collective knowledge, blurring the lines between facilitators and participants.
- Education can happen through informal, non-hierarchical learning outside of the monetary economy. Learning has become commodified but we can resist by creating opportunities for people to share knowledge and skills with each other.
- Skillshare workshops are based on a strong DIY/DIO (do-it-yourself/do-it-ourselves) ethic and focus on practical skills.
- Workshops are accessible, free, and open to all.
- Sharing our skills can create a community where we can depend on and learn from one another.
Do you have a skill to offer your neighbors and fellow community members? Sign up to teach a workshop in 2011! Use the workshop application form here.Some popular workshop topics that we would like to see taught include (we're open to any offers though): * Grey water recycling * Urban beekeeping * Rainwater catchment * Keeping chickens * Sock darning/clothing repair * Animal husbandry & slaughter * Composting/worm composting * Composting toilets * Herbal first aid/Intro to herbalism * Canning/food presevation * Welding * Bike maintenance * CPR * Seed starting * Fermented food * Gardening basics * Knitting & crochet * Basic car repair and maintenance * KombuchaThanks to other Skillshare programs for inspiration, including Boston, Brooklyn, and Austin.